About the ITW
The Instructor Trainer Workshop (ITW) is an intense eight day course that includes academic, pool, and open water sessions. To see the prerequisites and course requirements, review the IT Staff Instructor and Instructor Trainer Standards in the current SDI Standards & Procedures. Download the application to get started.
Who is this course open to?
Any Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor who meets the prerequisites (minimum 200 certification for Instructor Trainer and 150 certifications for IT Staff Instructor) outlined in the SDI Standards and Procedures Manual.
What will the course consist of?
You will spend 8 days working directly with the headquarters staff or HQ appointed Instructor Trainer Evaluator presenting and evaluating various subjects such as: methods of instruction, dive leader risk management, the business of scuba diving, as well as teaching SDI, TDI, and ERDI instructor level courses. You will also present and evaluate in-water presentations and skills, participate in class discussions, take the ITW final written exam, and more!
How much is the course?
Instructor Trainer Prerequisites
- Minimum age 21
- Provide proof of 200 logged dives
- Be an active SDI OWSDI or Equivalent, for a minimum of 2 years with no verified quality assurance complaints within the past 12 months
- Have issued a minimum of 150 SDI (or equivalent) diver certifications at various levels.
- Suggested levels as defined below:
- 100 open water scuba diver
- 25 rescue diver
- 20 specialty diver
- 5 Divemaster or Assistant Instructor
- Candidate must show verification of using SDI/TDI/ERDI standards and materials to conduct or assist at least 5 full SDI/TDI/ERDI courses
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider, where local law permits
- Have a current medical examination for scuba diving signed by a licensed physician
If you meet these prerequisites, complete the ITW Application. Submit the ITW application package in full, all of the required documentation listed on page 2, and a $500.00 deposit to reserve your spot. These items must be submitted to your Regional Office (outside of the North American region) or to the World HQ Training Department for review, via the form below.