Who this course is for:
- Any certified open water scuba diver who wishes to expand their diver knowledge and skill set
- Any certified advanced adventure diver or advanced diver who would like to advance in dive training
- Anyone interested in becoming a dive leader
- Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen (O2) provider (where local law permits) certification*
- Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, or equivalent, or open water diver certification and 40 logged open water dives
* Note: SDI CPROX, CPR1st or CPROX1stAED courses may be combined with the rescue program by qualified instructors.
What you can expect to learn:
The rescue certification course is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills for an individual to effectively perform diver rescues and assists, and administer necessary first aid.
You will cover all of the following and more!
- Prevention and causes of diving accidents
- Stress and psychological factors
- Physical conditioning
- Surface drowning syndrome
- Diving lifesaving
- Self rescue
- Diver assists
- Surface and underwater rescues
- Types of transports
- In-water artificial respiration
- Boat and shore exit techniques
- Diver first aid
- Review of oxygen administration
- Hyperbaric injuries and management
- Information collection
- Access to a hyperbaric chamber
- Accident Management
- Access to emergency transport/assistance
- Accident reporting
- Liability and related legal considerations
Some of the in-water skills include:
- On the surface, identify and assist a properly equipped skin or scuba diver simulating:
- Breathing difficulties
- Leg cramp
- Early panic symptoms
- Locate and bring to the surface a scuba diver simulating unconsciousness to the surface from approximately 6 metres/20 feet
- Upon surfacing, transport the unconscious diver 50 metres/150 feet to shore or boat, simulating in-water rescue breathing
- Upon reaching the shore or boat, with the assistance of one aide, remove the diver from the water
What’s in it for you?
- Ability to conduct rescues for divers in distress
- Become qualified to enroll in:
- The SDI Master Diver program
- The SDI Divemaster course
SDI Rescue Diver minimum requirements:
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive emergency planning and execution
- Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Rescue Diver written examination located in the SDI Rescue Manual with a passing score of 80%, followed by 100% remediation by the Instructor
How do I take this course?
- Available as an Online Course: Start eLearning today!
- To find your local Dive Center: Click here!
- Course Cost: $139.95 USD for eLearning only. Pool and open water training not included. Contact your local dive shop for full course cost.
eLearning available in English, Français and Português. Get Started »
Course Standards & Procedures