Learn to Dive
Start diving the world in 3 easy steps
SDI makes it possible for you to complete all of the academic requirements for your entry-level scuba diver certification online. You can get started right now and, when you are done, you will then complete your in-water skill-development sessions and final open-water training dives at a local SDI Dive Center close to home, or at a popular vacation destination. It’s that simple! Now, go dive the world with your SDI certification.
Start your SDI Open Water Scuba Diver course and master all the important academic information online or at your local dive shop. You can complete this phase through self-study, at your own pace, in the convenience of your home or office. All eLearning courses work on mobile and tablet devices too.
For entry-level certification courses (as well as some continuing-education classes), the next step will be to complete your in-water skill-development training. This takes place in a swimming pool or similar body of confined water, under the supervision of an SDI Instructor.
The final step is to complete the required number of SDI open-water training dives under the supervision of your SDI Instructor. Here you will apply what you have learned during your academic and skill-development sessions, while learning practical lessons that can only be gained through real-world experience in open water.
Learn to Dive with SDI’s Open Water Scuba Diver Course
Who this course is for:
- Persons desiring to obtain a Scuba Diving certification
- Persons interested in underwater exploration
- Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
See Junior Open Water Scuba Diver Course here. (10 – 14 years old)
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Course will cover all of the necessary skills and knowledge for open water scuba diving, including:
- The aquatic environment: vision, light, sound, heat loss, tides, currents, waves, surge, etc.
- Physics and physiology: buoyancy, pressure, air spaces, breathing compressed air, mixed gases, etc.
- Dive equipment selection, assembly, use and maintenance
- Dive planning
- Basic scuba skills including mask and regulator skills, swimming underwater, buoyancy control, basic rescue techniques, and emergency procedures
- And much more!
What’s in it for you:
Upon successful completion of the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver course, graduates may:
- Conduct open water dives in conditions similar to their training
- Continue their dive education by enrolling in SDI Advanced Diver and Specialty courses
SDI Open Water Scuba Diver minimum requirements:
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver knowledge quests or equivalent online learning course
- Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently
How do I take this course?
- Take it online. SDI Open Water is available in eLearning:
- Find your local dive center
- Course Cost: $133.85 USD for eLearning only. Pool and open water training not included. Contact your local dive shop for the full course cost.