Assistant Intermediate Freediver Instructor
Advance your Intermediate Freediving professional career!
This next level of Assistant Instructor certification allows the continuing Freediver Instructor to gain more skills and experience with more continuing education freediving courses that focus on the Intermediate Freediver level of education. Assistant Instructors in this area possess a high level of knowledge, skill, capacity, technical expertise and ability and will be required to work in the 40m/132ft depth range repeatedly while also being able to employ safety and problem management techniques. This program may be taught as a stand-alone program or combined during an Intermediate Freediver Instructor course.
Your PFI Assistant Intermediate Freediver Instructor course will cover topics such as:
- History and philosophy of PFI
- Physics and physiology of freediving
- Educational theory
- Presentation structure
Is this course for you?
- Do you want to advance your professional freediving career?
- Do you want to work towards becoming a freediver instructor?
- Do you want to be more involved in helping conduct freediver courses?
This course is taught by highly trained PFI Instructor Trainers at locations all over the world. The PFI Assistant Intermediate Freediver Instructor course includes, at a minimum:
- Classroom sessions
- Confined Water Sessions
- Open Water Sessions
Some of the skills a student will be able to perform at the end of the PFI Safety Freediver course are:
- Site Briefings
- Site Set-up & Breakdown
- Open Water Constant Weight Dive Evaluation
- Problem Management & Rescue Scenarios
- Command and Control of Students
- Minimum age of 21 years
- Be certified as a PFI Advanced Freediver*
- Be certified as a PFI Freediver Instructor in active status
- Be in good medical & physical condition and have signed medical clearance for freediving from a physician
- Be an active status CPR, first aid and AED instructor with a program that includes marine life injuries and neurological assessments
- Be an oxygen administration instructor
*A waiver for this requirement may be endorsed by the PFI Training
department for this prerequisite based on experience.
- PFI Standards and Procedures
- Pre-Course Assessments
- Academic Overview
- Supervising and Control of Freedivers
- Fundamentals of Educational Systems and Instruction
- Course Scheduling and Marketing
- Academic Teaching Presentations
Watermanship and Stamina
- 800 meter snorkel in under 16 minutes
- 400 meter non-stop swim in under 10 minutes – Goggles permitted
- Tread water for 15 minutes without floatation assistance
- Horizontal underwater swim (dynamic) with equipment for 75-Meters
- Complete a static of no less than 3 minutes without warm-up and 4-minute breathe-up
- 100m egress with non-stop BLS
- Conduct pool orientation briefing & provide safety supervision
- Assist all pool presentations
- Confined water teaching presentation
- Confined water skill evaluation
- Problem management evaluation
- Complete Open Water orientation briefings & provide safety supervision
- Complete rig/diving system assembly disassembly
- Assist all Open Water presentations
- Open Water teaching evaluation
- Skill evaluation
- Complete two Open Water rescue scenarios
- Problem management evaluation
- Open Water freedive capacity evaluation
- Exposure protection
- Weight belt and weights (appropriate for local environment)
- A timing device and freedive computer
- Any recommended equipment relevant to the level of
How to take this course!
- Find your local PFI Dive Center: Click here!
- Find your local PFI Instructor: Click here!