Become a Freediving Instructor
Share your passion for exploring the underwater world and the abilities of human physiology.
Why Become A Freediving Instructor
Want to teach with the best? Then PFI is your agency. Our instructors and divers use the most comprehensive training standards to promote safety and fun in freediving.
PFI’s courses are the pinnacle of freediving instruction and have inspired countless other programs to follow in our footsteps. Our methods and passion have been proven effective time and time again. It’s these methods that have created dozens of world records, thousands of certified freedivers, and millions of fun freedives.
Why teach with Performance Freediving International?
Highest standards and most respected instructors.
Proven and time-tested teaching techniques.
Industry leading instructors and methods.
Global presence, local support.
Online eLearning platform.
Industry best customer service.
One stop training agency for freediving, scuba and first aid.
How to Become A Freediving Instructor
Your journey to become a PFI Instructor starts with being a competent freediver. Start with a strong foundation and coaching sessions to increase your personal abilities and then learn the safety techniques with Safety Freediver . Once you’re personally competent and have the skills to help others it’s time to take the first level of professional freediving, Freediver Supervisor, where teaching techniques and supervision are introduced. After earning the Freediver Supervisor rating the Assistant Freediving Instructor program qualifies you to assist in courses to gain experience before earning the elite PFI Freediver Instructor Rating.
Already a Scuba Instructor?
If you’re already an educator that’s taken into account. While you’ll still need to prove competency as a freediver, the instructor program is abbreviated to give you credit for you existing knowledge while still honing freediving specific teaching techniques.
CONTACT US TO BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR
If you’re already a Freediver Instructor, the crossover requirements are straight forward. You must be equivalent to an Intermediate level freediver*, hold an instructor rating equivalent to Freediver*, and be able to demonstrate all the required skills that a PFI Freediver Instructor would have mastered.
The PFI Crossover requires the following for all applicants:
- Submit a completed crossover application and all required supporting documents, such as your freediver level cards, instructor cards, student count report, CPR/First Aid, Insurance, etc.
- Complete the crossover eLearning
- Complete the crossover orientation via webinar or in-person with a PFI or International Training representative
- Completed Freediver and Intermediate Freediver eLearning (if available in your region/language)
- Pass a standards exam for the level(s) crossing over
The PFI Crossover may also include the following after reviewing your application:
- Headquarters review of video taken by a PFI or International Training representative of:
- Academic presentation
- Confined and or Open Water Presentation
- Capacity dives
- Static and dynamic apnea safety and performance
- Rescue scenarios in Confined and or Open Water
- Demonstration quality skill circuit including 20 meter / 66 feet constant weight bi-fins and free immersion dives
- Watermanship and Stamina performances of:
- 400 meter non-stop swim in under 10 minutes
- 800 meter snorkel in under 16 minutes
- 15-minute tread
- 100 meter egress with non-stop basic life support
*Contact our training department for a list of recognized training agencies.
|You May Qualify to Crossover to PFI Assistant Instructor If You Hold One of the Following Ratings…||You May Qualify to Crossover to PFI Freediver Instructor If You Hold One of the Following Ratings…||You May Qualify to Crossover to PFI Intermediate Instructor If You Hold One of the Following Ratings…|
|PADI Basic Freediver Instructor||PADI Freediver Instructor||PADI Master Freediver Instructor|
|SSI Basic Freediver Instructor||SSI Level 2 Instructor||SSI Level 3 Instructor|
|NAUI Assistant Instructor||NAUI Freediver Instructor||NAUI Intermediate Freediver Instructor|
|FII Assistant Instructor||FII Level 1 Instructor||FII Level 2 Instructor|
|AIDA Level 2 Instructor||AIDA Level 3 Advanced Instructor|
|Apnea Academy Freediver Instructor||Apnea Academy Freediver Instructor Level 3|
|Molchanov Wave 1 Instructor||Molchanov Wave 2 Instructor|
If you do not see your training organization listed, not to worry – there are still options available for you! Fill out the form below to receive more information from our Training Department.