Who this course is for:
- The certified diver looking for a higher sense of direction and orientation while scuba diving
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent
- Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Underwater Navigation Diver Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- The aquatic environment
- Natural navigation
- Bottom contours
- Amount of light
- Underwater objects
- Compass use
- Estimating distance underwater
- Kick cycles
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Equipment set up
- Dive planning
- Predive checks
- Skills are generally done with more success if practiced on the surface from shore. Using the shore or descent line as a starting/reference point makes keeping track of students easier
- Practice compass use on the surface: out and back, in addition to square and triangle patterns
- Perform square pattern on the bottom
- Perform triangle pattern on the bottom
- Buddy contact
- Equipment disassembly
- Log all dives
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in diving activities without direct supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior divers (ages 10-14) must participate in underwater navigation diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
Also, the SDI Underwater Navigation Diver certification counts towards a single specialty rating to achieve the SDI Advanced Diver Development program.
SDI Underwater Navigation Diver minimum requirements:
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Underwater Navigation Diver Knowledge Quests with a passing score of 80%, followed by 100% remediation by the Instructor
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How to take this course!
- Find your local SDI Dive Center: here
- Available as online Course: Start eLearning today!
- Course Cost: $144.15 USD for eLearning only. Pool and open water training not included. Contact your local dive shop for full course cost.
Course Standards & Procedures