About the ITW
The Instructor Trainer Workshop (ITW) is an intense course that includes multiple virtual classes leading to four days on location undertaking academic, pool, and open water sessions. To see the prerequisites and course requirements, review the Course Director and Instructor Trainer Standards in the current SDI Standards & Procedures. Download the application to get started.
Who is this course open to?
Any Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor who meets the prerequisites (minimum 200 certification for Instructor Trainer and 150 certifications for Course Director) outlined in the SDI Standards and Procedures Manual.
What will the course consist of?
You will spend multiple virtual classes and four days on location working directly with the headquarters staff or HQ appointed Instructor Trainer Evaluator presenting and evaluating various subjects such as: methods of instruction, dive leader risk management, the business of scuba diving, as well as teaching SDI, TDI, and ERDI instructor level courses. You will also present and evaluate in-water presentations and skills, participate in class discussions, take the ITW final written exam, and more!
How much is the course?
Instructor Trainer Prerequisites
- Minimum age 21
- Provide proof of 300 logged dives (200 logged dives to join as a Course Director Candidate)
- Be an active SDI OWSDI or Equivalent, for a minimum of 2 years with no verified quality assurance complaints within the past 12 months
- Have issued a minimum of 200 SDI (or equivalent) diver certifications at various levels.
- Suggested levels as defined below:
- 150 open water scuba diver
- 20 rescue diver
- 25 specialty diver
- 5 Divemaster or Assistant Instructor
- Candidate must show verification of using SDI/TDI/ERDI standards and materials to conduct or assist at least 5 full SDI/TDI/ERDI courses
- Be and active First Response Training Adult and Child Emergency Care Instructor
- Have a current medical examination for scuba diving signed by a licensed physician
If you meet these prerequisites, complete the ITW Application. Submit the ITW application package in full, all of the required documentation listed on page 2, and a $500.00 application fee. These items must be submitted to your Regional Office (outside of the North American region) or to the World HQ Training Department for review, via the form below.